Medical Treatment Overseas for residents of New Zealand

Medical treatment overseas

This information is for residents of  New Zealand only

What’s covered

It can happen to the best of us...a severe case of gastro in Vietnam, a snowboarding injury in Canada, serious altitude sickness in Nepal or a scooter accident on a picturesque Greek Isle. If it’s necessary to seek urgent medical treatment, your policy can cover your overseas medical expenses (up to the policy limits) for:

  • visits to a GP or other registered medical practitioner
  • medical evacuation by air or road ambulance to the most suitable medical facility
  • admission and treatment in hospital
  • day surgery and out-patient medical treatment
  • prescribed medication for sudden illness and serious injury suffered while travelling
  • prescribed physiotherapy
  • prescribed alternative therapy treatment (Explorer Plan only)
  • Clinical psychology (Explorer Plan only)
  • out-of-pocket expenses if admitted to hospital (Explorer Plan)
  • a travel partner or close relative to travel to and remain with you if you are admitted to hospital
  • repatriation home - with  a medical escort if you’re not fit to continue travelling, when pre-approved

Use this as a guide only, as every claim is assessed on its individual circumstances.

If something happens:

  • Call our emergency assistance team immediately for advice on what to do and where to go.
  • Go to the closest medical facility for the emergency medical treatment you need.

Who pays for your medical treatment?

Well, that all depends on what’s happened and the seriousness of your medical situation.

You pay and make a claim later when:

  • you see a doctor at a medical centre/local GP surgery; or
  • you’re treated as an ‘out-patient’ ( admission to hospital) and where the costs are less than $2,000. If it looks likely that your treatment costs may end up being more than $2,000, you MUST contact our Emergency Assistance Team as soon as possible.

The insurer will pay the hospital or provider direct when:

  • you’re admitted to hospital – but only after you (or someone else) has contacted our emergency assistance team so payment can be arranged directly to the hospital once cover is confirmed; and/or
  • you require medical evacuation or repatriation home (and a medical escort where necessary and pre-approved).

If you pay for any medical expenses, you’ll need to keep copies of all of your medical records, bills, clinical reports/doctor’s notes, receipts, etc. to support your claim.

Also remember there's a $100 policy excess applicable to any claim for overseas medical expenses (per event).

What’s not covered?

The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the policy wording for what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it. If you are unsure of cover, please contact us for help.

Here are the main things that aren’t covered:

  • any medical condition you suffered in previous periods of insurance (i.e. prior to purchasing more cover or extending your trip), unless agreed by us.
  • private hospital treatment when public funded treatment was available ;
  • where care is available under any Reciprocal Health Care Agreement*(see below for more detail).
  • any medical expenses once you return home, even if you require ongoing medical treatment for something that occurred during your trip. Travel insurance does not provide health insurance at home.
  • expenses which are not reasonable or medically necessary; routine treatment; elective treatment.
  • anything else that’s listed in the General Exclusions and specific section exclusions in the policy wording.

*About Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (New Zealand)

The New Zealand government has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with Australia and the United Kingdom. These agreements mean New Zealand citizens and residence class visa holders may receive certain public health services as would a national of those countries. More information is available from the Ministry of Health website. Pty Limited (ABN 62 127 485 198 AR 343027) is an Authorised Representative of Cerberus Special Risks Pty Limited (ABN 81 115 932 173 AFSL 308461), and markets and distributes insurance products of Bupa Denmark (Bupa Global Travel), branch of Bupa Insurance Limited, 15-19 Bloomsbury Way, London, WC1A 2BA (No. 3956433). World Nomads Limited Company (05443592) is an Appointed Representative of Millstream Underwriting Limited, 145 Leadenhall St, London EC3V 4QT (FCA 308584). World Nomads (Canada) Ltd (BC0700178, ON-1708111, SK-101206919, MB-853797942) is a licensed agent for AIG Insurance Company of Canada, 120 Bremner Boulevard, Suite 2200, Toronto, ON M5J 0A8. World Nomads, Inc. (15854422), in CA dba World Nomads Travel Insurance Services (0I46621), provides Insurance underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies, Columbus, OH. All of the information we provide about travel insurance is a brief, general summary. It doesn't take into account your personal situation, what you want or might need. Before you buy, it's important to consider what product is right for you and you should carefully read all policy documents, including the Policy Wording/Product Disclosure Statement/Certificate/Policy/Product Guide, to understand what's covered, what's not covered and the limits, terms and conditions which may apply. World Nomads is located at: Level 21, 680 George Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 Australia.